Do you fancy a takeaway?
If your mouth is watering at the thought, you’ll be glad to hear that your local takeaway could be getting healthier.
Our Food Safety Team’s been running takeaway masterclasses for local businesses, where they share hints and tips on how to produce healthier but still tasty menu options.
So far 60 businesses have attended and we’re already seeing results with many of the attendees making positive changes like:
- lower salt content in mushy peas, batter and curry sauce
- using lower sodium salt
- offering poached fish as an alternative to the traditional deep fried version
- increasing the amount of fresh vegetables in stir fry dishes
- using chunkier chips (they absorb less fat)
- offering a diet/reduced sugar drinks
Kirklees takeaway owners with a hygiene rating of three or above can book on to the next ‘takeaway master class’ on Tuesday 21 April, 9.30am to 12.30pm at the Hudawi Cultural Centre, Great Northern Street, Huddersfield HD1 6BG by calling 01484 416883.
Luca Margaglione owner of Da Luca’s Pizzeria in Lindley said “I am attending the session with the hope it will assist me in providing even healthier food to my customers without compromising on taste.”