Historic building brought back to life as homes
Have you seen the historic Estate Buildings in the heart of Huddersfield have been spruced up and bought back into use as new affordable apartments, after parts were left empty and unused for over 13 years?
The first, second and third floors communal areas of the grand building in Railway Street have now been revamped and old disused offices converted to residential accommodation. 15 fantastic new affordable apartments for council tenants to rent have been created in the renovated building by Kirklees Council, through their Empty Clusters programme – which only exists to bring empty properties in local town centres back into use as homes.
Councillor Cathy Scott, Kirklees Council’s cabinet member for housing who toured the new apartments when they were completed this week, said:
The new apartments look fantastic and offer much needed accommodation for local people. Through this programme we have increased the amount of residential accommodation and some of our wonderful local historic buildings have been refurbished, maintained and invested in.
The Estate Buildings were originally built in 1874 and was designed by the famous local born architect William Henry Crossland. It is Grade II listed with outstanding architectural features including parapets, and marble colonnettes.
The conversion works have been carried out by Triton construction and have taken eleven months to complete. Every effort has been made by them to retain and refurbish the fantastic heritage features of the building.
This is the final of three council-owned vacant properties in Huddersfield and Dewsbury town centres to be converted into homes through the Empty Clusters programme. Waverley Chambers in Huddersfield and Pioneer House Annexe in Dewsbury have undergone refurbishment and seen new homes creation in each. Eighteen Empty Clusters conversion projects in both Council and privately owned properties have been completed. £2.8 million funding was secured by the Council from Government to fund the entire programme, with property owners contributions totalling £8.3 million.