Tour de Yorkshire roadshow and rolling road closures announced
Have you seen that it is an exciting time for cycling in the region with the Tour de Yorkshire cycle race passing through Kirklees in just a few short weeks? Details on rolling traffic restrictions and residents’ roadshows have now been announced.
On Sunday 3 May the race enters Kirklees at Denby Dale just after 1pm, and passes over the iconic M62 bridge at Buckstones around 2pm.
The Council is hosting Residents’ Roadshows in April, offering information about the race and an opportunity to get answers to any questions:
- Meltham – 7pm, 20 April at St Bartholomew’s Church Hall
- Holmfirth – 7pm, 21 April at Full Life Church Hall, Miry Lane
- Slaithwaite – 7pm, 22 April at Slaithwaite Civic Hall, New Street
The organisers are not expecting the same level of disruption to locals as last year’s Tour de France, as the Tour de Yorkshire operates rolling road closures. Police motorcycle outriders will form a protective bubble around the cyclists and ride ahead of them to close off junctions as necessary. This means roads only close just before cyclists arrive and open just after they have passed, offering much less disruption to traffic.
One short section of the route from Slaithwaite to Scapegoat Hill (the Clough Road junction with Crimble Bank to its junction with Bolster Moor Road) will be completely closed from 10am until 4pm on 3 May. Resident who need to access their cars during this time are advised to move them before 10am on the day.
There are also a small number of additional parking restrictions which will apply between 10am and 4pm on Sunday 3 May:
- Station Road, Bank Lane to Victoria Street traffic lights – restricted both sides
- Greenfield Road, as far as Briar Court – restricted, uphill right hand side only
- Holmfirth Road, Coniston Road to Morrisons – restricted left side only in direction of race travel
- Meltham Road, just before Gatehead to Manchester Road – restricted both sides
- Brougham Road (Manchester Road end) – first 25m restricted both sides; next 25m restricted left side only
- Ned Lane – restricted both sides
- Station Road – restricted left hand side direction of race travel
- Clough Road within full road closure – restricted both sides
For queries about parking restrictions and closures please call the Kirklees Council Helpline 01484 414881, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For maps of the route, road closures and parking restrictions please visit kirklees.gov.uk/letour.
A full list of race timings for each stage of the route so that you can find out when the cyclists are likely to be passing any particular point letour.yorkshire.com