Get your dog micro-chipped for free – before the law changes.
FREE MICRO-CHIPPING IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Our Dog Wardens are offering a FREE dog micro-chipping service at several locations across our area. From 6 April 2016, every dog in England MUST be micro-chipped and the keeper’s details must be registered on an approved database. This will help reunite people with their lost or stolen pets, and make it easier to track down irresponsible owners. If you own a dog that isn’t micro-chipped by the 6 April, you could be served with a notice requiring the dog to be micro-chipped within 21 days. If you don’t comply with the notice you may face criminal prosecution and a £500 fine. If you have a loyal companion we encourage you to attend one of the free dog micro-chipping events, which are taking place at locations across our area. Any dog can be chipped but they must be over 12 weeks old.
Where can you get your dog micro-chipped?
- Thursday 25 February 11am – 3pm, DRAM centre, Ridgeway, Dalton, HD5 9QJ
- Friday 26 February 9am – 1pm, Oakwell Hall Visitors centre, Nutter Lane, Birstall, WF17 9LG
- Wednesday 2 March 10am – 2.30pm, Greenhead Park Community Room, Trinity Street, Huddersfield HD1 4HS
- Tuesday 8 March 10am – 3pm, Crow Nest Park, Parklife Lodge, Heckmondwike Road, Dewsbury, WF13 2SG
- Friday 18 March 12pm – 4pm, Oakwell Hall Visitors Centre, Nutter Lane, Birstall, WF17 9LG
- Wednesday 23 March 10am – 3pm, Sands Recreation Ground, Huddersfield Road, Holmfirth – look for the Kirklees POD
- Friday 1 April 12pm – 4pm, Beaumont Park, Huddersfield, HD4 7AY
- Tuesday 5 April 10am – 2pm, Earlsheaton Park, Cross Park Street, Earlsheaton – look for the Kirklees POD
What does ‘micro-chipping’ involve?
At the event, we will insert a microchip the size of a grain of rice under the scruff of your dog’s neck. The procedure will only take a few seconds to complete and only has to be done once in your dog’s lifetime. The microchip will hold up-to-date information about your dog and the your contact details.
More information on registering your details will be available from the dog wardens at the various events. Dog microchipping normally costs between £20- £30. All microchips have been kindly donated by the Dogs Trust charity.