Supporting Learning Disability Week
The Kirklees Involvement Network (funded by Kirklees Council) are supporting National Learning Disability Week 20-26 June. The week aims to support people with a learning disability to have a full and rewarding life.
Gary Wainwright, our Partnership Commissioning Manager for Learning Disabilities, said: “People with a learning disability can find it difficult to make friends, and often face isolation and exclusion from everyday activities. In support of the week, various events and activities will be taking place across Kirklees, so please come along and have a great time.”
Events taking place include:
- Inclusive Football Event on Tuesday 21 June, 11am to 2pm at The Zone, Huddersfield. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Picnic in the park on Wednesday 22 June, 10am to 2pm at Greenhead Park. There will be sports activities, information, music, a raffle and more. Please bring your own food and seat. Call Sarah Roberts 07710 020235.
- Awards for outstanding achievement by people with a learning disability on Wednesday 22 June, 7pm at Hollybank School. Please send nominations with a short paragraph, photo and favourite song to email@example.com.
- Photography competition for people with a learning disability on Thursday 23 June. Email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Awareness raising sessions about learning disability, on the morning of Friday 24 June at Huddersfield Bus Station.
- Free benefits advice session looking at new PIP claims on Friday 24 June, 10am to 12noon at Carers Count, Huddersfield, hosted by the Department for Work and Pensions for Carers.
Lindley by night on Friday 24 June. Late night opening and celebration with a bunting competition.
- Mencap in Kirklees Music festival on Saturday 25 June at Branches, Carlinghow Mills, Batley WF17 8LL. Music festival with seven bands, BBQ, and a raffle. Tickets only £5 for adults and £3 for children. For more information call 01484340811.