4 things you need to know about elections in Kirklees in 2017

ballot box

There is a general election on the 8 June 2017

The Prime Minister announced that there will be a general election on 8 June, this is where you vote for members of parliament.  In the Kirklees area there are four parliamentary constituencies: Dewsbury, Batley and Spen, Huddersfield and Colne Valley.

You can vote for candidates in your constituency as long as you are registered to vote.

Details of candidates will be available on the Kirklees Website after 5pm on Thursday 11 May 2017.

You can apply to register to vote until 22 May 2017

You can apply to register to vote by visiting www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

You do not need to re-register if you are already registered to vote.  You can check to see if you are registered by contacting Electoral Services – 01484 221650

If you are not here on the 8 June you can vote by post – but you need to apply to in advance

The deadline for receipt of a new postal vote application or for amending/cancelling an existing postal vote is 5pm on 23 May 2017.  More about postal voting  

If you are unable to vote in person you can appoint someone to vote on your behalf,  this is called a proxy vote. The deadline for receipt of applications for a proxy vote is 5pm on Wednesday 31 May 2017.  

Applying for a Proxy Vote

Poll cards are helpful but not essential

If you don’t have a poll card or misplace it before the 8 June,  don’t worry! As long as you are registered you will still be able to vote at your local polling station.

You can find out more about where and when you can vote on the website www.kirklees.gov.uk/elections





  • Hi Michelle,

    The team have sorted staff for the upcoming election. Next time they are looking for staff we will put an article on here with details.



  • Michelle Sykes

    How do i become a polling clerk in kirklees as i live in heckmondwike? i currently do bfd area

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.