Kirklees’ cross-party message to Government on COVID-19 restrictions
With discussions with Government on COVID-19 restrictions ongoing, Kirklees’ cross-party Outbreak Control Board has made the following joint statement.
“Rising infection rates in Kirklees and the pressure that is having on the NHS is something we must take seriously, and we need to do all we can to improve this situation so we can save lives. However, we do not believe Tier 3 restrictions are the best way for us to do this.
“The closure of our pubs and bars will have a devastating impact on our economy and people’s livelihoods, and we have not seen the evidence that this will directly impact on infection rates.
“We instead need to continue the work we are doing at a local level, on the ground, in our communities. We are already seeing positive results from this work, with Kirklees now having the lowest rates in West Yorkshire. We’re urging the Government to give us more resources to build on this.
“We’re concerned about the mental health of people in Kirklees, many of whom have been under local restrictions since July. Preventing people from visiting each other’s gardens will be a big blow during what is already a very difficult time.
“We also do not feel comfortable agreeing for Kirklees to enter Tier 3 without any indication of how we get out of these restrictions and how long they will last.
“For these reasons, Kirklees’ Outbreak Control Board has unanimously agreed to urge the Government not to place Kirklees in Tier 3 and to instead let us build on the work we’re doing to prevent the spread of the virus locally.”
On behalf of Kirklees Council’s Outbreak Control Board:
- Councillor Shabir Pandor, Leader of Kirklees Council
- Councillor John Taylor, Conservative Group Deputy Leader
- Councillor John Lawson, Liberal Democrat Group Leader
- Councillor Andrew Cooper, Green Party Group Leader
- Councillor Charles Greaves, Independent Group Leader
- Member of Parliament Batley and Spen: Tracy Brabin MP
- Member of Parliament Colne Valley: Jason McCartney MP
- Member of Parliament Dewsbury: Mark Eastwood MP
- Member of Parliament Huddersfield: Barry Sheerman MP