Kirklees cross-party backing for mass COVID-19 testing
Kirklees Council’s cross-party Outbreak Control Board is backing a move to bring mass COVID-19 testing to the borough. Mass testing will make rapid tests available to everyone in Kirklees to fight the spread of the virus.
The Board, made up of the leaders of Kirklees’ five political groups and local MPs has issued the following joint statement:
“Mass testing will help us identify more cases and reduce the spread of COVID-19 in Kirklees. That is why we have answered the government’s call for local authorities to work with them to put a mass testing infrastructure in place.
“We will now work with the government to build and roll out a mass testing system as quickly as possible so that it is available for everyone in Kirklees. It will be a logistical challenge to deliver and will require the council, the government and partner organisations to work closely together. But infection rates in Kirklees are still high and we need to take every opportunity to keep people safe.
“We are already planning to use this new technology to help people visit care homes safely and it will be in place to allow students to travel home for Christmas. By making our whole population eligible for testing, everyone will be able to take an active part in keeping their family and community safe.
“People in Kirklees expect us to use every tool available to reduce infection rates. That is why the Board has put Kirklees at the front of the queue for this opportunity.
“Mass testing will allow each and every one of us to step forward and keep each other safe. But it’s not the only way people in Kirklees can play their part. It’s still as important as ever that everyone in Kirklees follows the rules on staying at home as much as possible, social distancing, wearing a face covering and using the existing test & trace service if you have symptoms.”
On behalf of Kirklees Council’s Outbreak Control Board:
- Councillor Shabir Pandor, Leader of Kirklees Council
- Councillor John Taylor, Conservative Group Deputy Leader
- Councillor John Lawson, Liberal Democrat Group Leader
- Councillor Andrew Cooper, Green Party Group Leader
- Councillor Charles Greaves, Leader of the Independent Group
- Member of Parliament Batley and Spen: Tracy Brabin MP
- Member of Parliament Colne Valley: Jason McCartney MP
- Member of Parliament Dewsbury: Mark Eastwood MP
- Member of Parliament Huddersfield: Barry Sheerman MP