Safeguarding Week returns with events across the week
Kirklees Safeguarding week returns on Monday 20 June with a packed week of events to help raise awareness of safeguarding issues and how you can report it.
Not all abuse is physical or visible, there are different forms of abuse which often can be difficult to spot including domestic violence, sexual abuse, neglect, financial, emotional, psychological abuse and cyberbullying. If you suspect something, report it.
Events and activities
Community Plus Bus
Community Plus Co-odinators will be out in the road all week with our Community Plus Bus, sharing information and details on how to report safeguarding concerns and answer your questions around what safeguarding is. Pop along and pay them a visit.
- 20 June, 10am-4pm – Asda supermarket, Dewsbury
- 21 June, 10am-4pm – Tesco supermarket, Cleckheaton
- 22 June, 11am – 12:30pm – Huddersfield Bus Station
- 22 June, 1pm-3pm – Greenhead Park
- 23 June, 10am-4pm – Co-Op, Holmfirth
West Yorkshire Police exhibition van
Officers from West Yorkshire Police and the Safer Kirklees team will be highlighting the dangers of cuckooing – a practice where people take over a person’s home to use the property for illegal activity – how to spot the signs and report suspicions.
- 20 June, 10am – 12:30pm – Sainsburys, Southgate
- 20 June, 1pm – 3:30pm – Morrisons, Waterloo
Third Sector Leaders – Free training
If you’re part of a volunteer or community group in Kirklees, take part advantage of the free training course “An Introduction to Safeguarding”, delivered by Third Sector Leaders. The session aims to help volunteer and community groups understand safeguarding, how to spot the signs and what to do if they suspect or have any concerns.
- 20 June – 10:30 – 12:30, Batley Library
- 24 June – 10:30 – 12:30, Huddersfield Library
Huddersfield and Dewsbury Libraries are hosting two events for people aged 16+ on how to use the internet safely, protecting privacy online and how to identify fake news and disinformation.
- 23 June – Huddersfield Library
- 23 June – Dewsbury Library
If you have any safeguarding concerns, report it straightway:
Adult safeguarding: 01484 414933
Children’s safeguarding:01484 456848
In an emergency, don’t wait, call 999.