Voting safe – what to expect at your polling station
We’ve been working hard to ensure all of Kirklees’ polling stations are as safe as possible for voters and staff next week when the borough goes to the polls on 6 May.
We’re putting all the right measures in place to protect voters and staff from any potential spread of Covid-19, we have created a video to show voters what they can expect when visiting their local polling station.
The video shows how our polling stations may look a bit different this year, the measures in place to make sure they’re Covid-secure and everything voters need to do to vote safely on 6 May. Click the image below to watch it.
Covid-secure measures in place
The below measures will all be in place at polling stations across Kirklees:
- Hand sanitiser will be available at entrances and exits
- Unless you have a medical exemption, face coverings need to be worn inside
- Social distancing of 2 metres, or more where possible, is advised
- One-way systems will be in place and appropriate signage and directional signs will be posted in each station
- Unless necessary or unavoidable, please enter the polling station alone, in order to maintain distancing and avoid crowding
- You may have to queue as there will be a limit on how many voters will be allowed inside at once
- You are encouraged to bring your own pen or pencil – we will have a supply at the polling stations for use
- Polling booths and equipment will be cleaned regularly throughout the day
- Desk-top perspex screens will be in place
- We’re employing additional staff to help voters.
Currently, 24 per cent of postal votes have been returned so far for the local and West Yorkshire Combined Authority Mayoral election in Kirklees. We’re urging voters to please post their postal vote back to us as soon as possible so we receive it in time.
It is too late to apply for a postal vote for this election. If for any reason you cannot visit the polling station on the 6 May, please contact Electoral Services.
For any further information or advice please contact Electoral Services:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Telephone: 01484 221650 (during normal office hours).
You can also visit www.kirklees.gov.uk/elections